The instructor of Ph.D. students in the first academic year must be the department dean. No later than the first semester of the second academic year, before course adding and dropping, a student must select a supervising professor. The supervising professor will be responsible for organizing a student’s three-person supervising committee. After this is reported to the department dean he/she must report to the department meeting.
The supervising professor shall in principle be full-time professors, associate or assistant professor from this department. When necessary and when the approval of the dean is acquired professors and associate professors who teach part-time can be supervising professors.
The supervising committee members shall be professors over assistant and associate level full or part-time professors from this department. When necessary, professors and associate and assistant professors from outside the department or university or researchers, associate or assistant researchers of the same job level from national academic research bodies can be supervising committee members, but should not exceed two in number
After the supervising committee is formed, after approval from the supervising professor, the Ph.D. student should acquire a report form from the office, complete it and hand it into the office for filing.
The supervising committee is mainly responsible for supervising the student’s course selection, qualifying examination and thesis writing. They are automatic members of the student’s degree examination committee.
The Ph.D. student should discuss course selection with the supervising committee before course selection begins each semester, and after gaining the approval of the supervising professor and the department dean, hand in a past course checking record.
Beginning from the second semester of the second academic year the Ph.D. student shall report on the outline of research and projected progress rate to the supervising committee each semester. Before course adding and dropping ends in the first semester of each academic year the thesis research outline and projected progress rate shall be reported to the office in writing.
Only after the approval of the supervising committee can a Ph.D. student apply for the qualifying examination and degree examination.
The Ph.D. thesis completed by the Ph.D. student shall have the names of the supervising committee members attached (the format to be decided by this institute)
Detailed rules for the implementation of the Graduate Institute for Anthropology Ph.D. degree candidate qualifying examination
These rules are set in accordance with the “Main points for the implementation of the NTU Ph.D. candidate qualifying assessment”
Qualifying examination application conditions:
1. Examination applications limited to two
2. After completing the required 26 credits, from the second academic year, with approval from the supervising professor, a Ph.D. student can put forward a qualifying examination application. At the latest, the qualifying examination should be passed before the end of the second semester of the fourth academic year or. Students who fail will, according to the university regulations, be required to end their studies.
Qualifying examination application regulations:
Application time limit: First semester from the date that the student completes registration for that semester until November 30; second semester from the date that registration for that semester is completed to April 30.
2. When a Ph.D. student puts forward a qualifying examination application he/she must fill in a qualifying examination application and, after approval from the supervising professor and department dean, complete the application at the office.
3. The qualifying examination should be held before the end of the semester in which the application is made according to the school calendar
4. After applying for the qualifying examination, it can be withdrawn but the latest that the application can be withdrawn is one week before the date of the examination. To withdraw the application, after approval from the supervising professor and department dean, the student should complete an application withdrawal form and apply in the office.
Organization of the qualifying examination: made up of the members of the Ph.D. student’s thesis supervising committee考試委員會之組織：由本系博士班該研究生論文指導委員會組成。
Contents of examination: Written and oral test. The questions of the written test will be set and marking done by the qualifying examination committee
Examination subjects: the written test will have two subjects. After they are decided by the supervising professor and the qualifying examination committee they will be reported to the department head. The contents of the oral examination will be the Ph.D. thesis research plan.
Examination method: Each application will involve one written examination and one oral examination. Only after the written examination is passed can the oral examination be taken. If both subjects in the written examination are failed then the applicant will be reported to the university as having failed the qualifying examination once. If one subject is failed, the applicant can take the qualifying examination again but must retake and pass the oral examination in the next semester at the latest. If the re-take is also failed or the oral examination is failed then the applicant will be reported to the university as having failed the qualifying examination once. If both subjects n the written examination are passed but the oral is failed, the applicant can retake the latter once but it must be retaken in the next semester at the latest. If the re-take is also failed the applicant be reported to the university as having failed the qualifying examination once.
If a student fails the qualifying examination twice they will be asked to end their studies.
After being approved by the departmental affairs meeting and the graduate student teaching section of the Academic Affairs Department, these rules will apply to Ph.D. students who are admitted from the 1997 academic year, and the same applies to revisions.
Detailed implementation rules of the Ph.D. degree qualifying examination of the Department of Anthropology of National Taiwan University.
These detailed rules are set in accordance with the “Graduate Institute of Anthropology, NTU Ph.D. candidate qualifying examination implementation rules”
Passed by the first-course committee meeting the first semester of the 89 academic year, on November 18, 2000.
At least one semester before they apply for qualifying examination Ph.D. students should ask their supervising professor to call a supervising committee meeting to decide the two written exam subjects.
The time when the scope of the bibliography of the two written examinations shall be decided by the supervising committee
The method of producing the written exam questions will be decided by the supervising committee.
The written examination will be held over two days, one subject per day
The passing mark for the written examination is 70 for each subject.
After the examination is passed the questions will be put on the Internet and in the anthropology research data library
After completion of the supervisory meeting minutes, student bibliography, student research meeting, the written examination timetable, and the questions, the supervising professor should report them to the department.
After the examination is passed, an oral examination will be held. The length of the examination will be two hours. The exact date of the examination shall be decided by the supervising committee.
Degree Examination (Dissertation Defense) Regulations
Graduate institute of Anthropology PhD Examination regulations
These regulations are set in accordance to the “NTU PhD and Masters degree examination regulations”
1. At least two years of study and the required credits completed
2. Qualifying examination passed
3. First draft of thesis completed
1. Application should be according to calendar regulations
2. When applying in addition to completing an application form, past result, the first draft of the thesis and a summary should be included
3. After agreement from the supervising professor and department head the application will be passed to the university for approval.
Degree examination process
1. Organization of the degree examination committee
2. Carrying out of degree examination
Regulations for the organization of the degree examination committee
1. Members of the examination committee shall be recommended by the guidance committee and have 5 to 9 members. They shall in accordance with regulations be employed by the principal with one appointed convener by the department dean. However, supervising professors shall not serve as conveners of the degree examination committee for students they supervise.
PhD degree examination committee members shall, in addition to having specialized knowledge of the PhD candidate’s thesis subject, creativity, exhibition or technology, also meet the following requirements:
1. Fellow of Academia Sinica
2. Served as professor, associate professor, assistant professor or as a researcher at Academia Sinica, associate researcher, assistant researcher, with notable academic achievements.
3 Have a PhD degree and have notable academic achievements
4. Have notable academic achievements or expertise in rare or special subjects
Carrying out of degree examination:
After exam approval
After this department checks if the regulations are met a day will be chosen on which to carry out the degree examination.
Results evaluation 評定成績 must be carried out for the degree examination, with a limit of one evaluation. Without evaluation a fail result will be given. The pass mark is 70, with a maximum of 100. The mark will be decided by the attending members.
For degree examination at least five members must be in attendance. Proxies should not be used when members are absent.
When the candidate fails. If they have not reached the time limit for completion of the degree, they can re-take the examination the next semester or academic year. In the event of second failure the student should be ordered to end their studies.
The degree examination timetable shall be held once each semester, according to the school calendar
擬參加學位考試之博士班研究生，須於口試前至少三星期，將打字裝訂好之論文初稿連同論文審查表（其規格由本系制定，屆時請至助教室領取），親自送交考試委員。PhD students wanting to take part in the degree examination should personally hand over a typed and bound copy of the first draft of their thesis and a thesis examination form to the examination committee at least three weeks before the oral examination
After approval by the department affairs meeting, students admitted from the 1997 academic year shall be subject to these rules and to any amendments.